Friday, June 23, 2006

The Problem with Fresh Eggs



I love wandering out into my own yard and collecting fresh eggs from the hens nests and feeding my family. Its a great feeling. HOWEVER, keeping chickens has its drawbacks. Last night around 2am I was awakened by horrible screaming, I knew immediately that it was one of my chickens. I stumbled out my door, flicking outdoor lights on and throwing rocks at the same time. When I got to the coop there was a squawking white hen, disoriented but otherwise ok. I shooed her back into the house and locked it up. I went back to bed, glad that I was able to protect them. In the morning, I was shocked to see what was left of one of the red hens. I guess I didn't see her in the dark or that she was already half way up the Douglas fir in the jaws of the raccoon. I don't know. I will be on extra alert the next few nights, as I will need to discourage the raccoons from using my chicken coop as a restaurant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through my friend Ruth's blog Synchronizing. My dad kept chickens when I was a kid and he has real animosity for raccoons. He was delighted this year to discover a nest of bluebirds at the far end of his garden, but was devastated when a raccoon killed all the babies. Chickens are not easy to keep.

thehealingroom said...

Hi Heather,

Thankyou for stopping by.
Its hard for me with the raccoon thing, because they are so darn cute yet they are ruthless.
That is sad about the bluebirds, it must of been special to have them grace your garden. I think I would have taken the raccoon attack personally.