Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Stone Table Drummers

Here we are: The Stone Table Drummers!
All summer we have been meeting around the Stone Table in my horse pasture to learn African drumming. Now that it is dark and cold in the evening we meet once a week in either my living room (as seen here) or my neighbour's Joanne's. I am not sure if we are "good" or not, but I do know we laugh alot and I always feel better physically and mentally when we are done our 2 hours or so.
I will have to get some more photos as Joanne was at a Farmer's meeting and I was taking the photo (but you can see our drums)
Last month we actually performed on stage! It was a hoot. Our first coffee house. This month we will be giving a small performance during my Artisan's Christmas Sale. I have always been more of a Pagan celebrator than the customary Christmasy thing anyway. Bill is our teacher and he has been a fabulous coach and lender of drums.

5 comments:

thehealingroom said...

".............................................................."

Anonymous said...

Great photo of the stone table. That is a wonderful gathering place.

Ginnie Hart said...

This is so very interesting to me, THR, because the only gift I have asked for for Xmas is a Native American drum! I really want to get into drumming, so now I'll know to whom I can turn. If you have tidbits to share beforehand, please feel free :)

thehealingroom said...

Absolutely Ginnie,
The native drum is hand held, I believe called a frame drum. It may be played with the hand or a stick. They are lightweight thus making them portable and comfortable to carry. Often used for chanting or a heartbeat.
The African drums seen here are called Djembes.
They can be quite heavy to cart around.
They are meant to be played with 2 hands with a wide variety of sounds. Very rythmic and danceable.
In both drums, it is important that the skin is tight. Avoid letting your drum get moist. Sometimes holding a hairdryer on the skin can dry it out and give it that extra tightness for extra resonance.

Ginnie Hart said...

Good tips, THR. I particularly like the handheld, frame drum, which is why I asked for that. Maybe I can take it to Germany with me :)