Saturday, September 02, 2006

Exploring Vancouver Island

My daughter and I went camping. In the last days of preparations, a friend of mine asked if she could come with us. Also, at the last minute we decided to drive across the island to Long Beach. On the way, we stopped at this gorgeous river.
Once at Long Beach (3 hours of driving later) we couldn't unpack fast enough to get down to the beach. The beach is miles long and we could walk and explore for hours. The crashing waves sounds made it so soothing.
Here we are at the dunes. Just after this photo we came across a fairly fresh pile of bear scat.
It felt so wild and beautiful.
Next day, we continued to explore the Pacific Rim National Park. This is the Shorepine Bog Trail. One or two metre thick sphagnum moss, muskeg, and ancient stunted pines. Some of these pine trees are 300 years old.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks beautiful! I'm jealous and wish I could have gone to the beach this summer. Hope to see more pics!

Wandering Coyote said...

Gee, when I was at Long Beach it was raining sideways. I'd love to go there when the weather is cooperative. That top picture is amazing!

thehealingroom said...

Hi Ruth and W. Coyote,
I was SO fortunate to have this awesome weather.
My daghter took the picture of the river water. It was such a beautiful colour and looked so inviting but it felt like a recently melted icecube.

Bridget Jones said...

I've been there. I've been to that exact beach. Almost that exact spot.

In 2001.

Lovely place.......oh you were blessed to be there!!!

Candy Minx said...

Oh this almost hurts to look at these pictures. My heart is there always. There are some places you go to in your life that just stay with you forever.

We heard there was a huge water shortage in Tofino, alarming.

It must have been rewarding to go with your little one camping...making new memories huh? Really...this is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Wandering Coyote...I've been there lots of time with tons of rain too. Actually....I found it kind of sublime...but I know what you mean, when it's warm enought o swim, the place is perfect!

thehealingroom said...

Hi Candy,

I have wonderful treasured memories of our trips to Long Beach.

35 years ago, we used to drive on the beach! and camp anywhere. We were SO lucky.

Because Tofino is located at the end of the road, the water shortage actually didn't effect Long Beach area.
The news sensationalised the story and it seemed to keep alot of tourists away, so we got to enjoy solitary walks and spacious beaches.(by the way, our swims consisted of plunging in and out,lol, the water is still very cold)

Anonymous said...

Dear Healing Room,
your collection of photos is truly breath taking. Vancouver Island is definately a little piece of Paradise. What a wonderful place to live.
Enjoy!
Leah

thehealingroom said...

Nice to see you here Leah!!
Its funn, though I have lived here many years, I feel like I am just starting to really appreciate all the gifts that are right under my nose.