Saturday, July 29, 2006

Horses Come Home Today

The horses have been staying at the neighbours for the last couple of weeks. They have a large unused pasture that they have generously offered to my horses to eat. I just have to provide them with water and the owners of the pasture can ride them whenever they want in exchange.
When I turned them out into the field they seemed surprised to see the standing stones. They were very curious and made blowing noises and pranced about for a few minutes before settling down to eat. It was very entertaining.
The smaller chestnut is Blaze and the dark bay Pinto is Jewel. Blaze is a Morgan gelding and Jewel is a Canadian Sport Horse mare. Horses have been a huge part of my life over the years but recently that has shifted for me. I love and appreciate them as I do all life, but I no longer have the desire to ride them or spend all my spare time with them. Its so interesting to see this shift in myself.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful horses. A few years ago I had a student named Blaze. I often told him what a great name he had, and he told me that his parents named him after a favorite horse. Glad to see the horses back in your field.

thehealingroom said...

Hi Heather,
I named both of them.( They had ho-hum names before) That is great that someone actually named their child after a horse. It could be a very cool name.

Candy Minx said...

Oh they are so beautiful...I love them reacting to the stones in the feild, thats hilarious!

I watched Hidalgo for the first time last week and thought about you. Of course, I was crying my eyes out...but what a movie, Viggo AND horses yum!w

thehealingroom said...

Hidalgo was a Great Combo of attractive viewing for me too!!

Tamarai said...

Ooooh! They are both so pretty!

Ruth said...

I think it's very cool that you know yourself enough to watch the change taking place about horses.

thehealingroom said...

Thankyou Ruth,

My habitual part of myself, wants to make a story up about how its "something wrong with me".
Letting go of a part of the past that was tied up in who I thought I was. The more I affirm the unconditioned part of myself(or, at least, what I percieve it to be) the easier letting go is. Oh! Thats NOT me afterall.

Candy Minx said...

I have many times reevaluated the relationship with horses we have all had. My joy of riding has definately changed sad thoughts of rodeos and suffering domestic animals can go through. Horse racing etc. My hearts not in like it was long ago...

this ties in with my lack of appreciation for farming and farm foods...yep including corn, wheat rice. We have ravaged the land and animals with our domestic ways...

sorry to be such a seemingly downer...but I prefer to live a different way now...I grw up brainwashed to think the agricultural movement was a great cause when it is the root of our econmic and cultural wars. Alas.

thehealingroom said...

Candy,
doesn't the agricultural movement make cities possible?
If you are living in a city, doesn't that mean you are not living in a different way? You are eating food that is not raised in an agricultural way?
I'm not sure what you mean...on the practical level.

Bridget Jones said...

Is Jewel expecting or just an enthusiastic eater??

They are beautiful, as are the subjects of all the photos.

As are the photos themselves. And a great time had by all, obviously.

Tally ho!

thehealingroom said...

Jewel had 2 pregnancies, both were difficult for her, but she has 2 healthy sons out in the world now. 1 is a stallion in Sweden and 1 is a beloved riding horse in Oregon.
Now she is an enthusiastic eater ( I love that term!)