Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Oran Mor

The Oran Mor is the gaelic word for the Great Song. One
way to view life is that everything has a rhythm. I was raised
by parents who were self-proclaimed non-musical. I believed
this for most of my life so far.
I took up the dijeridu last year and fell in love with expressing
through sound and rhthym. This year I am adding drumming.
Out of the blue, my neighbour invited me to go with her to a
drumming workshop offered at our small town's yoga studio.
We both had a blast and decided why not have a drumming circle?
She has an amazing home called Yesteryear Farm and she offered
it as the site. I talked to another family of one of my daycare kids,
who happens to build and play drums. Turns out that he was
looking for an excuse to get back into it after stopping for 3 years.
Our first night of drumming was last Tuesday and it was so much fun!
This is one of his drums, he is lending it to me to practice.
At first, I was absolutely rhythym challenged, it was Funny! But
eventually, I "got" it. I was thrilled.
Please check a Master Drummer named Babatunde Olatunji
Now you can see what is so appealling.
His biography is fascinating as well. His Biography.
I like the notion of having to stop thinking, mind chatter stuff, to be able
to really groove. I am finding it truly Healing.

3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

the only music that matters, really, is the music you make in your community....keep drumming!

thehealingroom said...

Thanks Mr. Anchovy,
May I quote you?

Billy Guilfoyle said...

Oooh, you should check out a book called The Silent Pulse. I think you'd majorly dig it!